"Standing on top of the world, for a little while"

"Standing on top of the world, for a little while"

Thursday, May 15, 2014

The Countdown & Race Details - 2 Days & a Wake Up To My 1st Half!

Counting down to the Marine Corps Historic Half, Fredericksburg, Va.

At this point, I am a whole bunch of feelings scrambled together and squeezed into 5 feet, 4 inches and 137 pounds of a rookie runner.

Nervous, pumped, a bit intimidated, inspired, anxious, proud, antsy, hopeful, ecstatic - just to name a few. 

In the midst of the mumbo jumbo of anticipation I have leading up to Sunday, there is one fact in particular that I'm clinging too. That fact is; I AM READY.

Repeat. I am ready! Repeat. I am ready! One more time. I am ready.

I can have all the butterflies in the world leading up to my race day, but those butterflies don't change that fact. I have trained for, prepared to, and am going to run a half marathon on Sunday. 

I sound pretty level headed, don't I? 

Talk to me 4 days ago, after a not so successful go at running hospital hill. I had psyched myself out pretty good, and I was being a baby. It was hot, I had a headache and all of my nerves kicked in at once. It wasn't pretty,but I'm glad I got it out of my system. It just took a few minutes of Nick "chewing me out" with a pep talk, a little watery eyes and a couple deep breaths for me to recoup. 

After that, we did another go at hospital hill and continued on to the following hill at mile 11 (which I'm glad to have discovered before race day). By the time we finished, we had banged out a 5k on that last go. It was what I needed to snap out of it, "get mad" and to instantly kick this "pissed off hangover". 

Training for this race has been eye-opening and my own little journey to do something I hadn't ever done before. When I cross the finish line on Sunday, it will be the first time I have ever run 13.1 miles and I expect the race to be a journey within itself.


I'm looking forward to everything that this weekend holds for me, even Hospital Hill! 

Details for Race Day








No comments:

Post a Comment