"Standing on top of the world, for a little while"

"Standing on top of the world, for a little while"

Friday, May 9, 2014

Fit Fashion Friday: Hot Race Day: Shirt On? Shirt Off?

This is the scandalous dilemma I am facing 10 days out from my first half marathon.

Training is basically in the bag at this point, and if it's not, I'm screwed. I am pretty positive it is though, based off of everything I've read and other runners I've been chatting with.

I've been keeping up with all of the Marine Corps Historic Half updates; downloaded the app, printed my Bib # and read the event program. It's all making me really excited and anxious for this thing, and of course am deliberating on what to wear!

If it isn't enough to think of looking cute for your post race photo you take on your iPhone, there will be actual photographers taking photos throughout the course. I can see this being awesome, or well, not so awesome. I have NO idea how I look running, but I imagine at mile 10 - hospital hill, it will not be pretty - so I at least need a good outfit.

I have many "options" and the weather on race day will of course be a factor in my decision. Nick & I went out to Fredericksburg last weekend to run the infamous hospital hill to wrap my mind and body around actually doing it. It went really well; my legs didn't fall off getting up the hill and I was able to tweak some of my mechanics. It was a beautiful mid 70 degree afternoon and after 2 runs up the hill, I was SO sweaty! I took off my tank and did the hill 2 more times in my sports bra and shorts which was much more comfortable!  I'm toying with entertaining this as a possibility for race day and heres how I'm weighing both sides of the argument.

Shirt On 

CONS -
  • Sweating through. It's understood that I'm going to sweat, I'd rather it not be displayed.
  • Getting too warm
PROS - 

  • I won't be thinking about "sucking it in" or my tummy jiggling - I'm in good shape, but I can't flex my abs for 13.1 miles.
  • I won't be a rookie posing as a "real runner"

Shirt Off

CONS -
  • I can't flex my abs for 13.1 miles
  • I look tougher than I am
PROS -
  • Dressing the part always boosts confidence, even if I'm a rookie runner - posing like a "real runner" might up my mental game.
  • I am in shape, so I can dress like it. It's me after all, and I'm not hiding anything.
  • Less likely to overheat.

What do you guys think? Can this rookie runner pull off going without a shirt? Suns out guns out? Stay dressed? Or do both?

(This post is written with optimism that race day will be beautiful, sunny and a bit warm. Play along and maybe we can influence mother nature)



No comments:

Post a Comment