"Standing on top of the world, for a little while"

"Standing on top of the world, for a little while"

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Marine Corps Historic Half: Fredericksburg, VA May 18th

Yup, I'm doing that.


Call me crazy, and I will agree with you 100%. 

  • Yes, I do call myself out for not being good at running. 
  • Yes, a Half Marathon is twice as long as my last "big" race (6.2 miles vs. 13.1 miles).
  • And Yes, I am nervous. Hell yes.
I have about 2 months to get training and in the running shape I want to be. I could (probably) finish the race now, but I want to enjoy it and the experience of training for it. I haven't been on my running game recently, so it's time to get back on it and up my distance runs, thinking of starting small & working my way up. I am convinced this is doable.

What makes me even more convinced is seeing and hearing about other Rookie runners signing up for their first races ever. I did my Dad's first race with him last week,an 80s themed, retro run, 5k and he did AWESOME. When I finished, I turned around to go run what he had left of the race with him. He said he knew I was coming back for him about 10seconds before I did, and there I was! It was SO cool to see him cross his first finish line! #ProudDaughter

Also, my gal-pal and fabulous fashion blogger Nicole signed up for her first race, a 10k! It seems I am hearing of other rookies signing up for races of various distances left and right. Starting out running and entering races can be intimidating, for even the most fit-crazy and extroverted person (Hi!) Props to them. I'm inspired.

There are lots of different avenues for support for us rookie runners out there! First off, start with the people in your circle. Someone runs, even a little, or knows someone who does. Let them coach you! And, the online/social community is HUGE for this and has a lot geared to newbies. For instance, this week @RunnersWorld is doing #RWNewbieWeek - geared to newbie runners, featuring tips for starting out, inspiring stories and fun facts about running. Check it out!

You really do anything you set your Too Fit mind to. If running is one of those things, rock on! I will see you at the finish line!


PS- If anyone would like to join me in running the Half Marathon on May 18th let me know & we can start a "Too Fit" team! Race info here.






No comments:

Post a Comment