"Standing on top of the world, for a little while"

"Standing on top of the world, for a little while"

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

I am not good at running, keeping my hip down in Yoga, and Math...

Just how bad am I at all of these things? Well...

Running - Did I have you fooled with my big 10k race? For the simple fact that a 10k (6.2 miles) is not all that "big" of a race, I'd guess no. However, this race, and running in general, was a challenge for me. I've always been more of a sprinter (in every aspect of life, really) and trying to adjust my pace for longer distances was tricky. Also, my form still needs work, and it takes almost a frustrating amount of time to find my groove. But I'm trying.
"Lauren, get that hip down." I hear that at least twice in every yoga class I take - usually when I think I'm doing a really good job of  dropping my hip, too. NOPE. From years of dancing, I have quite an unruly turnout that needs to be reversed to do my favorite poses properly. My instructor will come place me in the correct position, and I swear my heart rate doubles trying to keep myself there. But dammit, I'm trying.
"How do I calculate a percentage?"  Seriously, I had to ask one of my girlfriends this question yesterday. I know there are easy ways to do it automatically on my iPhone or online, but really I should KNOW how to do this. To say I've never been good at math is an understatement. I've always been horrible at it. Not for lack of trying, though. Extra credit and extra help were my saving graces. I noted the percentage equation, so next time I can do it on my own. Seven years after passing high school algebra by the skin of my teeth, and still, I'm trying.
When I told my girlfriend that I was embarrassed that I didn't know how to calculate percentage off the top of my head, she told me not to feel bad. She admitted she sometimes confuses "passed" with "past,” and that made me laugh and feel a little better. My girlfriend made a great point in our discussion: "Everyone has different strengths."

This is something that is blatantly obvious in our world, but not so much appreciated. All too frequently we settle into the little things we're good at doing and leave the things that are difficult to others who can do them more easily. NOTE: I said we settle into the little things we're good at doing. Many of us, myself included, have used our own different strengths to conquer life-changing challenges. Yet, when it comes to something small that we haven't improved upon so quickly as we'd like, we tend to throw in the towel. Whether that’s a new type of workout or a new hobby or skill, our excuses begin with, "I've never been good at it," or "I've never liked", and that sets our tone. It's ironic that with all the tough stuff we overcome, we find it easy to disregard the smaller challenges of doing something that has remained difficult and unknown.

It's not always the case, but it should be the case a whole lot less! We need to focus on embracing things we either don’t do, or simply don’t do well. Conquering mini challenges (like the ones I listed above) can give you a profound sense of satisfaction. It allows you to get into your own mind and to surprise yourself. Everyone has his/her own strengths, and we embrace them. Everyone has his/her own weaknesses as well, and they don't need to be buried behind pride. The process of self-improvement is rewarding and should be continuous. 
Start doing the small things you don’t do well -in fitness, in your relationships and in your job. Savor the satisfaction when you see and feel improvement. Enjoy the ride and the process of self-improvement. It's neither always easy nor always "fun," but it is interesting, rewarding and most of all, "Too Fit."

No comments:

Post a Comment