"Standing on top of the world, for a little while"

"Standing on top of the world, for a little while"

Thursday, February 6, 2014

A Bit on Crossfit...

This has been getting A LOT of bad press recently, and I get it.

In the weeks following Kevin Ogar's horribly tragic incident (a Boston Crossfit Coach who is now paralyzed after he dropped a 240lb bar on his spine attempting a snatch lift at a Crossfit competition in CA), the intensity of the workouts and the Crossfit brand is under fire. To some extent, understandably so. I mean this is beyond unfortunate and my prayers go out to Kevin.

The bad press has inevitably been focused on safety concerns and criticisms about the intensity of Crossfit workouts. An example is this segment I saw this morning: FOX 5 Investigates: Crossfit Concerns

I found it informative on both sides of the Crossfit argument but my biggest take away was how terrifying that Rabdo clown is! AH! That's an attempt of Crossfit opposers to take a hit at the huge brand, and using the injury incidents to do so. I think thats crappy - imagine if Sky Diving and Bungee Jumping industries did something like that...

Personally, I have never done Crossfit. I know people who have done/do it and seemingly have no qualms. The "No Pain, No Gain" approach and the fact that these workouts are beyond physically demanding is well known. The dangers associated with that are becoming so as well and yes, it's important we take note. 

Just as with anything we decide to throw our bodies into, we should be highly educated on the risks involved. We need to listen to our bodies: when they tell us things we need and things we shouldn't do. I don't think Crossfit dismisses that notion, so I cant really knock it. 

Not saying any incidents involving Crossfit injury's should be disregarded. And I'm sure they will not be. However, as free willed people we can make intelligent judgements on what is good for us, Crossfit may or may not be. 

Moral of the story here: Don't hate the player, or the game. Push your limits but don't disrespect them in anything that you do, ever.

What are your thoughts on the argument for or against Crossfit? 

No comments:

Post a Comment