"Standing on top of the world, for a little while"

"Standing on top of the world, for a little while"

Monday, February 10, 2014

Rookie Racer

I am 7 days out from my first 10k.

The only other race I've ever done is a 5k=3.1 miles. A couple of my girlfriends, the man and I did the Travis Manion Foundation's 9/11 Heroes Run and it was a blast. 

I am not much of a runner though, and not a fast one at that. Besides a casual jog, the only way I get moving is in ZUMBA or well, running to the refrigerator. So needless to say, on Sunday I am not running to win this thing. This thing = The George Washington Birthday Classic 10k in Alexandria.

A 10k = 6.2 miles, totally not that bad, but I'm TOTALLY nervous!! I have been doing a good job of training but even with the prep, these jitters won't quit. 
I'm rarely nervous, embarrassed or remotely uncomfortable about anything really, so this is a bit odd for me. Heres where I think it's coming from:
  • I am still feeling out my running form and pace. Having a bit of trouble with it but feeling the difference from minor tweaks makes realize it is important.
  • Distance: I've got that down, as in I know I can do it. But even still race day will only be the 5th time I've ever ran over 4 miles.
  • People. The idea of having a bunch of other runners around me has me worried about it throwing off my groove.
  • Timing: I signed up in mid January, and reasonably so, I feel race day has snuck up on me!
  • And...What the Heck do I wear?! As far as necessary gear goes, I'm all set. But naturally, I still want to look fabulous!
On the 4th bullet (Timing) - Yes, I could have signed up for a later race but there was a reason behind it. Last year at this time, I was coming off of a not so fun recovery from a not so fun surgery. Running even 1 mile wasn't an option, but now it is. Actually running a few is, so I'm going to do 6.2 more than I could this time last year! (Check out that math!)

Before signing up for this bad boy, I'd encourage everyone to do things like this and give them serious props. But now I have a new appreciation. It was humbling to experience something I'm not so great at and then work to get better at it. 

In our fitness and our lives, why don't we do more stuff we're not good at? We all have challenges in our lives, sometimes by no fault or control of our own. So why not bring some challenge in that we can control. Even if it is something small.

OH - and set goals while doing it! DUH!!
Realistic ones. When I signed up, my goal was to finish this thing in 1hr. But when I went out for my first 10k distance run, I did it in less than that. Therefore, I adjusted my goal to more of a challenge but something within reach. Here it is:

Overall Racetime Goal: 53 minutes

Average Pace Per mile: Around 8:45

T-minus 7 days. Wish this Rookie Racer luck and send any tips my way!...Ladies, I'm looking at you for help with that last bullet point!!

2 comments:

  1. Fellow readers,

    I like the point about choosing a challenge you can control since we all have enough challenges we haven't chosen. For example, practicing a foreign language in a foreign country is unnerving, but once you've practiced having the cajones to put yourself out there and risk looking foolish, you usually find (assuming you are honestly applying yourself in preparation) that you don't look foolish at all. Usually it isn't long before you start seeing a measure of comfort-inducing success.

    "Life begins at the edge of your comfort zone," they say. LaTooFit is putting that into practice this weekend with a virgin 10K. Find your own 10K, and see how it feels to ply the uncharted waters. It just may turn into a habit, like that Rose chick on Titanic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats the thing, our comfort zone is just so darn comfortable ;-) GREAT point about the quick transition to success once you do take that step (small or large) outside of that zone. An aspect of that success is the expansion of our comfort zone. Theres a sort of beautiful irony in the fact that the more we do expand our comfort zone, the harder we have to work to continue to do so - and there lies the challenge!
    Thanks for the comment & perspective!

    ReplyDelete