"Standing on top of the world, for a little while"

"Standing on top of the world, for a little while"

Thursday, February 20, 2014

"I think I am just in a coaching mood today!"

"When aren't you Dad?"


That was what went through my head during a conversation with my dad when I was having a hectic day. My dad has always coached me in everything, literally everything. From little kid sports to big-girl interviews, life dilemmas, and even some break ups. 
This hectic day was no different, and I was glad I had my coach: who even on his 51st birthday would talk his daughter off the ledge while she overreacts about a dentist appointment. Happy birthday Dad!!

This got me thinking: everyone needs a coach. Actually, we need many coaches for many different things. When I say a coach, I don't just mean a mentor or an expert on dealing with certain situations. I mean someone who knows you, knows your goals and knows how important they are to you. A Coach who isn't only there when you think you need something. Instead they give you something you may not think you need. Whether that may be a swift kick in the rear or a hug. 


Personally, there are so many crazy things in my mind and in my life that I know I need coaching in (and more I don't know). I feel like that has to be true for everyone, right? Therefore, it's impossible to have one single person as a coach. For example,  my roomies and I take the same gym class on Tuesday mornings. When I hit snooze on my alarm because I don't want to wake up and then hear my roommates up and about, well, then it's go time. They're coaching me, and I am coaching them.


We have more obvious people in our lives as coaches - bosses, mentors, personal trainers, and even ZUMBA instructors or bloggers. (See what I did there?). The key here is to maximize how much you can improve yourself as they coach you. At basketball camps, I always got the "most improved" award, and it would piss me off. Dad would then explain to me how important being coachable is, in basketball and in life. I think I'm getting it now.


We need to make ourselves more coachable and let the connections we have with those around us resonate within us in a deeper, more purposeful way. Maximize your relationships by not only getting all you can out of them, but by truly giving it all as well. You may need a ton of coaching, but just think of your "crazy" friend who probably needs even more. (We all have one of those.)


Face it, kids, we're all high maintenance! But we're all in this together, and if you feel like you don't have a "coach," you're wrong. Check out this video from one of my all time favorite flicks, and substitute "moving buddy" for coach. Don't be dinosaur, guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment