"Standing on top of the world, for a little while"

"Standing on top of the world, for a little while"

Friday, February 28, 2014

Fit Fashion Friday: Murphy Strong

Whenever I'm not exactly feeling "Too Fit," I think of a woman who is the epitome of that philosophy.

Her name is Kerri Murphy. She is 44 years old, a mother, a passionate business owner of The Fitness Studio, a killer group exercise teacher, a great friend and a fighter. Kerri has touched and inspired so many people in her lifetime, including me. She continues to do so now, as an angel.

Kerri was a long-time friend of Mom's. I knew her from a young age as one of Mom's friends who taught classes at the gym, and I thought this was so cool. When I got old enough to actually take one of her classes, I realized it was pretty badass (to say the least). I don't think I had ever seen a more physically fit person, or anyone who radiated such drive, determination and passion for what she did. 
In 2005, she opened The Fitness Studio (TFS) in little Dudley, Massachusetts, a fitness family revolution in my little hometown. Dudley, MA, is forever changed for the better by TFS. 

Kerri was diagnosed with appendiceal cancer in spring of 2012, and during a year-long fight, she continued to run her business, be a mom, and teach/take group exercise classes whenever it was physically possible (yes, even in the midst of treatments). Truly incredible. This woman was in unbelievable shape. She would say she had been training her whole life for this fight, and she didn't go down easily.

As much as Kerri loved her business, TFS could not have loved her more. Members organized fundraising initiatives and delivered meals for Kerri and her family. Even smaller things like shoveling the Murphy's driveway. The TFS community had anything anyone could do to to help in any way, covered. "No one fights alone" was one of their mottos. "Cancer sucks" and "quitting is not an option" were among the others, all inspired by Kerri's common expressions.

On December 29th, Kerri went to heaven. On December 30th, members of TFS had a heavy heart and a heavy bar as they went to Body Pump. I did the same here in D.C., and I did my heaviest class ever. If there were any way we could honor Kerri, that was it.

Today, Kerri's legacy lives through her business, which is still going strong. TFS is going "Murphy Strong." Words can't describe the heartfelt feelings this slogan inspires in me. I won't pass on the chance to say how proud I am to wear this shirt and to represent. This is certainly the most "Fit Fashion Friday" we've had to date.

When you have "one of those days," or aren't feeling "Too Fit" yourself, think of Kerri or think of that kind of person in your life - the kind of person who wouldn't let anything crack her spirit or devotion to inspire others, the kind of person who makes you scratch your head with how unbelievable they really are. Life is too short to not live it to the fullest - the "Too Fit" fullest. Kerri taught me that - before this blog, before her cancer and before I could even grasp it all. For that, I am forever grateful.



4 comments:

  1. Very well written Lauren. It came from your heart. TFS/Murphy Strong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said! She is SOOO missed, but TFS is going strong! She still inspires... TFS/Murphy Strong for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kerri is smiling down on all of us!

    ReplyDelete